App Wrapper is much more than just a GUI interface for Apple’s command line tools to codesign applications and build installers. App Wrapper can generate High Quality icons from transparent images, validate and install Apple Compatible Help, configure an Apple About Box, create Zip files, add important keys to plist documents and more.
Code signing is required for both the Mac App Store & OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. App Wrapper’s Code signing engine is capable of code signing helper apps, frameworks, plugins & AppleScripts.
Required for the Mac App Store. App Wrapper 2.0 features a new GUI interface to simplify the specification of Entitlement keys and their values. It includes tools to help validate a Sandboxed application and to track down Sandbox violations.
Application & Document Icons
App Wrapper can add High Resolution ICNS files to the application bundle, or it can generate High Resolution ICNS files from almost any transparent image. App Wrapper also features a ‘Document Icon Maker’ that can generate (AHIG conforming) High Resolution ICNS files using the Application icon and a simple identifier. App Wrapper uses High Qaulity scaling to retain as much detail when generating icons at smaller sizes. When creating Retina compatible applications, App Wrapper can generate HiDPI ICNS files (dependant on the specified Minimum OS).
Apple Compatible Help
App Wrapper can add a Help folder or Help file into the application bundle, and add the correct keys to the plist. App Wrapper also features a Help Validator that will check the help documents for simple XHTML errors, broken links, missing images and other common errors with help documentation.
App Wrapper features several functions for validating applications. It performs a plist validation when ‘wrapping’ an application, along with other checks. When a code signed application is opened in App Wrapper, it will perform a code sign check, a sandbox check and even search for sandbox violations.
Uniform Type Identifiers (UTI)
App Wrapper features functionality to add importable and exportable UTIs to an application, it includes a function that can generate a matching UTI from a document type. This enables developers to easily add support for “Document Packages”.
Many required plist keys can be specified using the App Wrapper interface. For more advanced plist editing, App Wrapper includes a simple plist editor.
When selected, App Wrapper will set the correct plist key to enable HiDPI function. If App Wrapper is being used to generate icons for the application. It can also create HiDPI icon files (HiDPI icon generation is dependant on the Minimum OS specified).
Installer or Zip File?
The Mac App Store requires applications to be submitted in the form of a OS X Installer Package, App Wrapper can be used to create these packages and will code sign them. App Wrapper can generate Zip Files, which is a more popular format for posting software to Web sites.
Apple About Box
App Wrapper features GUI options for configuring the Apple About Box. Included in the App Wrapper help is code for Real Studio developers to use, that will display a genuine Apple About Box.
Auto Save & Restoration
App Wrapper automatically saves the settings, restoring them when the application is re-opened in App Wrapper.
App Wrapper was made with Real Software’s Real Studio and App Wrapper was used on App Wrapper, to generate the icons, validate and include the help, configure the about box, codesign the bundle and then to create the Zip compressed file.
- Debug Build: When testing Debug applications in Real Studio, App Wrapper can intervene and create icons, add help, code sign and sandbox the debug build.
- Manually Add Sandbox Entitlements: Enables new Sandbox entitlements to be specified, without needing an update to App Wrapper.
- Use Non Apple Certificates when Signing.
- Can now print the log.
- Now only shows Mac App Store warnings when a Mac App Store certificate is selected.
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Notifications.
- Can now enable/disable Forced Code signing.
- Can now enable/disable Time Stamping when Code signing.
- Refresh Option.
- Improved the Icon generation.
- Added support for the latest Real Studio Versions.
- New Warning for Sandboxed applications and a Minimum OS: OS X 10.7.3 Lion.
- New Warning when the Zip engine will not work correctly.
- New Warning when the application contains "Default.proj" as the App Store then lists the application as containing a German translation.
- Added the option to no longer reveal applications in the Finder. Bug Fixes.
- Fixed a Typo in the Help.
- Canceling the scanning of an application's libraries no longer generates an error.
- Validating some apps no longer generates an error.
- No longer duplicates UTIs.
- No longer checks the version number if Fix Version number is not enabled.
- No longer adds MIME types to MacTypes.
- Added code to improve icon handling when wrapping Apple Script applications.
- OS X 10.7.3 or later
- Xcode 4 or later